Family Day Weekend Getaway Ideas
Family Day Weekend
February 17 - 20, 2017
Bring your family to South Georgian Bay's winter wonderland for Family Day weekend. Explore our recommended kids activities, sample weekend itinerary and family-friendly resources to start planning your weekend.
19 Activities For Families
- Watch and learn how the chocolate and candy gets made at The Candy Factory.
- Paint pottery pieces at Crock a Doodle located in the Blue Mountain Village.
- Book a lane at the Georgian Bowl followed by snacks, drinks and a game of pool.
- Visit the Blue Mountain Village, devour a beaver tail, ride the Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster, go tubing or ice skating on the mill pond.
- Learn about Collingwood’s heritage and history at the Collingwood Museum, open daily from 9-5pm.
- Visit the Craigleith Heritage Depot, Meaford Museum & Grey Roots Museum and learn about the history of the South Georgian Bay region.
- Visit Wasaga Beach, the world’s longest freshwater beach and check out the Snowman Mania festival happening all weekend long.
- Snowshoe or cross-country ski at Scenic Caves Nordic Centre, Highlands Nordic or Wasaga Nordic. Daily snow conditions report available here.
- Snowshoe along the Blue Mountain lookout and take in the sights of Georgian Bay high atop the Niagara Escarpment.
- Ski or snowboard at Blue Mountain Resort.
- Dine in a family restaurant or stop in at a cafe for hot chocolate in the quaint towns of Collingwood, Thornbury and Meaford
- Go toboganning in Wasaga Beach at the William Arnill Park.
- Register for night cross-country skiing or snowshoeing at Scenic Caves Nordic Centre, a unique experience.
- Visit Meaford Hall, register the kids’ for an art class taking place on Saturday morning.
- Go ice skate at one of the local arenas or outdoor rink in Collingwood or Wasaga Beach.
- Book a fun outdoor wilderness excursion with Free Spirit Tours or Eagle Adventures
- Go on a Xtreme Hummer and snowshoe tour.
- Go fat biking. Ride Guides offers tours in Collingwood.
- Skate the ice trail at Discovery Harbour, Saturday & Sundays from 1-4pm & again from 6-9pm. Weather permitting.
Sample Itinerary One
Begin your day at the Collingwood Museum, grab a map of the region and say hello to one of our tourism counsellors. Get some ideas on what’s going on in the area over the weekend.
Take a walk to Collingwood’s main street, Hurontario Street and browse the local shops. Spring will be here soon so check out some new spring footwear at Becker Shoes, or see the latest toys and gadgets at Minds Alive. Grab lunch at 98 Super Panda, the best chinese food in town!
After lunch, head west on First Street towards the ski hills and Blue Mountain Village. Join the Village Scavenger Hunt or scream down the Ridge Runner Mountain Coaster.
Continue west on Grey Road 19 and stop in at the Craigleith Heritage Depot, now a museum and library. Head west on Highway 26 to Thornbury and go skating at the Beaver Valley Community Centre (Click here for the public skating schedule.)
If there’s still time, head west to the quaint harbour town of Meaford. Along the way is Grandma Lambe’s where you will find fresh baked goodies to devour after a day of family fun. Once in the town of Meaford, visit the Meaford Museum which is located on the beautiful harbourfront, a picture perfect location for some great shots to share on social media. You could also contact Ride on Bikes and rent a pair of snowshoes and go out on the Georgian Trail.
Sample Itinerary Two
Start off your day with premium coffee and made in-house pastries at Shale Rock Coffee House located in Craigleith, right across from Georgian Bay. Turn right on Grey Road 19 (at the Craigleith Depot) and head to Scenic Caves Road. Bundle up for a morning of cross-country skiing or snowshoeing at the Scenic Caves Nordic Adventures. Take in the beautiful views from the 420 foot suspension bridge.
Before heading to Collingwood, turn left from the Scenic Caves parking lot to experience another fantastic lookout point over Blue Mountain Resort. Watch the skiers and snowboarders go full tilt down the hills.
Head back down Scenic Caves Road and travel to Collingwood. Stop in at PIE Wood Fired Pizza Joint for lunch, you won’t be disappointed! Your next destination is Wasaga Beach and the Snowman Mania festival taking places at the RecPlex. Take part in some of the events and activities: Snowshoeing, skating, snow mazes, kids rides, tobogganing, horse drawn wagon rides, ball hockey, polar bear plunge, ice sculptures, lumberjack shows and more. Get a full schedule of Snowman Mania activities at snowmanmania.com.
When ready to call it a day, head back to Collingwood for a hearty dinner at The Iron Skillet.
Sample Itinerary Three
Begin the day in Clearview. Take a stroll down the main street through Stayner’s historic commercial district where you can enjoy a hot coffee, a fresh cinnamon bun, and the friendly atmosphere. Stayner is known for its many parks and waterways, and its well-preserved Edwardian architecture.
Your next stop is the Clearview EcoPark, a recreational space where you can learn about the rich biodiversity of the area through interpretive signs, accessible trails and a bird blind. Be sure to wear winter boots and bundled up.
Continue on Highway 26 east and turn right at Sunnidale Corners/County Road 10. A stop at the Leishman Pottery on your left is a must and a great opportunity to purchase some locally made products.
Head south on County Road 10 for a visit to the village of Creemore. Take some selfies in front of North America’s Smallest Jail. (Make sure to post your photos and use the hashtag #SGeorgianBay). Afterwards, take a walk around the quaint village of Creemore and browse the local shops.
Head west on County Road 9 and make your way to Highlands Nordic for an afternoon of cross country skiing or tobagganing.
Finish your day with dinner at Mylar & Loreta’s restaurant located in Singhampton, which serves up the best country home-cooked meals at affordable prices.
What’s Going On